Sunday, February 7, 2010

The First Day of the Rest of My Life

As the premier of Melodifestivalen 2010 came on our television set last night, I looked out our window and confirmed that the neighbors whose sets we can see from our apartment were also watching Sweden's most popular program, the contest whose winner will go on to compete in the Eurovision Song Contest.  We settled in with our Schlagerchips, named for the style of music that most often wins the competition*, and logged into MSN chat so that we could keep in touch with the rest of The Swede's family as we watched.  It was a breathtaking, life-changing, toe-tapping explosion of pop music and I cannot wait until next week!

* I asked The Swede to describe what, precisely, schlager is for my non-Swedish readers (and, frankly, for myself) and he answered, "Schlager is schlager."

No comments:

Post a Comment