Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Little Something for My Schoolbag and Sweden's Children

We at Daily Damara hate poverty.  We hate tuberculosis as well, but it isn't such a huge problem here in Sweden these days.  And because we hate poverty so much, today we invested in a Majblomma.  It started a couple of weeks ago when I was bombarded by three school children outside of the subway with plastic display suitcases around their necks trying to sell me some sort of tiny flower pin.  I didn't know what they were and I was darned sure not going to subject those poor kiddos to my terrible Swedish by asking, so I just said nej, tack and continued on my way.  Then, the very next day, my teacher Tanja came to the rescue as usual with a presentation on Majblomman, an organization that has been benefitting Sweden's children since 1907.  At the time that it was founded, the funds earned from the sale of these little flowers went to the fight against tuberculosis, a disease that caused around 25% of deaths in Sweden back then.  Now that tuberculosis isn't such a menace here, the funds help children in less-than-ideal economic situations.  So when I came across a little boy on the street today shilling Majblommor, I had to drop the 10 kronor to get one of my own.  Anyway, he had an AIK hat on so he deserved my support.

2 comments:

  1. I want one! if you see a cute purple one get it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I debated mentioning this in the post, but they only come in one color every year, so blue is the only option in 2010. If I see another kid, though, I'll totally hook you up.

    ReplyDelete