Monday, January 17, 2011

The Taste Of America Is Artificial

Have you been to Europe and tried orange soda?  It's amazing.  It tastes so much more like actual oranges than we're used to in the States and is, I think, so much more refreshing.  I tasted an orange Fanta for the first time in Italy and never forgot it, so when I came to Sweden nearly a decade later I was pumped to get to enjoy it again.  Sometimes, though, one just wants to taste something familiar, if sickeningly sweet, and as this country's soda offerings are predictably slim* I selected the American-style, aggressively-colored orange flavor.  And dang.  It was good. 

*To be fair, there are a few food items that one can find more varieties of in Sweden than America.  Flavored sparkling water, for example, and gummy candy.  And who can forget cheese-in-a-tube?  The USofA can't touch Sweden's tubed cheese situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment