Thursday, March 17, 2011

On Labors Of Love

At Emerson Elementary School in Bozeman, Montana, the 2nd graders celebrated being able to count all the way to 100 with One Hundred Day.  I was in Mrs. Pool's class and we were told to bring in 100 of something - anything - on One Hundred Day.  Some kids brought 100 pennies, others brought baggies of food like raisins or Cap'n Crunch, but my mom sewed 100 different buttons onto the front of a blue sweatshirt for me to wear that day.  Just a little side project while raising 3 kids and studying nursing full-time at Montana State University.  And, no kidding, it looked cool.  In school on One Hundred Day, when we all gathered on the rug at the front of the room to share with Mrs. Pool and our classmates the 100 things we had brought, I knew in the unassuming way that a 7-year-old experiences pride that my 100-button-sweatshirt was the best.  I wore that shirt again and again until I grew out of it and I wish I still had it.  So here's to you, Mom, for those 100 buttons, on my 500th blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment