Saturday, May 28, 2011

Marathon On The Menu

I went into the city this morning and it turns out I totally picked the right day to make the trip.  I had known the Stockholm marathon would be going on, though I didn't know the route and didn't count on seeing any runners, but I didn't realize that there was an international street market set up in Sergels Torg.  There were vendors selling, among other things, sausages and cheeses from Italy, crépes from France, bratwurst from Germany, olives from Greece, pancakes from Holland, kangaroo burgers from Australia and, my choice, paella from Spain.  There was a produce stand with artichokes the size of my head and purple garlic as big as my fist.  The food was so beautiful and smelled so good I could have cried.  I walked around, popping into stores, shopping up all the neutral newborn clothes I could find until I had just enough energy left to make the trip home.  And on the way back to the train station I managed to cross the path of the marathon runners and imagined my own sweet husband running that same route a few years ago.  Yes, it was a very good day to be in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment