Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Alien's Native

Jamie's passport was ready yesterday and, aside from marveling at how quick the process was (and not just because he's a baby - apparently it only takes a week here for everyone), I couldn't help but stop and take a moment to comprehend the fact that I gave birth to a foreigner.  Well, technically I'm the foreigner, but still.  If you had told high-school me that my future son would be a full-on Swede I would have thought future me was just way too cool.  Good thing she's not here to find out I'm actually still a huge dork.  Oh, also, lots of people asked me when I was pregnant what nationality Jamie would be.  Well, because he was born in Sweden to a Swedish father he automatically has Swedish citizenship and since his mother is American, he also has the right to American citizenship, which we can, and will, apply for before his 18th birthday. 

3 comments:

  1. glöm inte också kvarts finne
    farmor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. He will learn English?...Pops

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just det, Farmor... 1/4 finne, 1/4 svensk, 1/4 hollänsk och 1/4 amerikansk.

    Of course he'll learn English, Pops! Too bad it's going to be total urban street English from his mom.

    ReplyDelete