Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Front And The Back Of My Mind


Jamie and I went into the city today.  I had two items of business to take care of there, one being to pick up some Swedish gifts for a couple of new baby friends Jamie will meet in Ohio in a couple of weeks, and the other being to see if I could get into the city with the baby and all of his accoutrement in tow.  I could.  Jamie wasn't impressed and, indeed, slept the entire time minus a quick snack in a dressing room at H&M.  He was a prince, making the whole trip incredibly easy for me.  So easy, in fact, that I got to concentrating so hard on getting where I was going and dodging other mommies capable enough to venture into the city that I forgot to gaze lovingly at Jamie for several minutes at a time.  This is kind of a first, since he and I spend nearly every moment together, many of which I spend gazing lovingly.  But you know, every time I did look down at him sleeping peacefully in his stroller, it was like remembering something absolutely wonderful that was in the back of your mind but that you hadn't thought about for awhile.  You know the feeling I'm talking about, right?  Usually it's fleeting, though, like a vacation you're looking forward to or a piece of cake with your name on it.  Only now, for me, that feeling is forever.  No matter what, whether I'm gazing lovingly or not, I will always be Jamie's mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment