Monday, July 4, 2016

Vaxholm

Yesterday morning, we hopped into the car and, unbeknownst to me, headed toward the coast. I didn't know where we were going because The Swede made me keep my eyes closed in the car ride. I was very pleasantly surprised when I finally opened them and found myself on the archipelagic island of Vaxholm.
It's an idyllic little tourist town that offered beautiful old buildings and homemade ice cream cones eaten in front of a swanky hotel while yachts and sailboats drifted by. A little Swedish riviera.
Also, just a three-minute boat ride away, was a sixteenth-century fortress that is now a museum, cafĂ©, bed and breakfast, and conference venue. Jamie was pretty pumped about the variety of old cannons all over the place, and The Swede was fascinated by the museum, which we unfortunately couldn't see all of because it was scary. Like, jump-up-sobbing-into-your-pappa's-arms scary. 
Tears aside, it was a beautiful day and we had an awesome time. Now The Swede and Jamie are officially on vacation and I have one week left of work before more long-awaited family time!

No comments:

Post a Comment